Autoconf on new platforms

From: Dan Kalowsky
Subject: Autoconf on new platforms
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:25:33 -0400 (EDT)

To whom it may concern,

I've been recently tasked with getting autoconf to work upon the EROS
Operating System (http://www.eros-os.org).  I'm wondering if there is some
documentation that I can be pointed towards to help aid in this operation.

Current problems I've run into include (but certinaly aren't limited to):

- there is no native shell environment yet, so everything needs to use
  cross build tools.  Besides setting the CC flag, is there some way to
  automate this?

- Under config.sub, what options will need to be added?  My current belief
  is that adding an entry to the "First accept basic system types" list of
  -eros* is enough.

- is there a way to pre-define many of the many of the defines for an EROS
  specific build?  I.E. we know that gettext does not exist on EROS, but
  all checks discover it because of the host OS having it

- Is it possible to disable many of the compile tests?  Due to the nature
  of the EROS system, many of these checks will fail unless specifically
  given/granted a capability by the user.

I've been trying to discover all I can through the archives, but have come
to my end.  So, consider this my SOS for help.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

Dan Kalowsky                    "I thought you died alone,
http://www.deadmime.org/~dank    a long long time ago."
address@hidden   - "The Man Who Sold the World"
address@hidden                  David Bowie