Re: Problem with tests for GSL

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: Problem with tests for GSL
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:53:27 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Daniel Leidert wrote:

> Am Montag, den 29.10.2007, 14:18 +0100 schrieb Laurence Finston:
>
> gsl ships a program gsl-config, which very probably will give you the
> necessary information. I would test for it with a combination of
>
> AC_ARG_VAR(GSL_CONFIG, ...)
> AC_PATH_PROGS(GSL_CONFIG, gsl-config, ...)

Thank you for your reply.  I don't understand what the ellipses are for.
I suppose I'm supposed to add additional arguments?  I'll see if I can
find this information in the documentation, though.

> and then get the flags by running $(GSL_CONFIG) with the appropriate
> options.

Okay, I'll try that.  I looked in the GSL "help" mailing list archives,
too, and saw that people were being referred to this list.  The gsl
configuration script rings a bell, though.

> At least the Debian packages contains an M4 macro (gsl.m4) written by
> the GNU Scientific Library project. Did you check it out?

No, the system I'm working on uses Suse Linux.

> It maybe
> already contains pre-defined tests, that offer the functionality you are
> looking for.

I can probably find a copy of the macro somewhere and try it.

However, I would still be interested to know if there's a way of passing
specific options to the C or C++ compiler when `configure' runs its
tests without having to go deeply into the guts of Autoconf.  I have
looked into it a bit, but it seems like a major undertaking to really
understand how to use it at that level.

Thanks again for your help.

Laurence