Re: silent-rules

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: silent-rules
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 06:30:24 +0200

* Ralf Corsepius wrote on Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 09:23:10AM CEST:
> On 10/14/2009 07:05 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >I still fail to understand.  What problem do you have with either
> >   echo export V=1>>  ~/.bashrc
> >
> >or
> >   echo enable_silent_rules=no>>  ${CONFIG_SITE-/usr/local/share/config.site}

> Wrt. question: Nope, this is not possible, because V is a much too
> general variable name to set it globally.

What about the other approach then?

> The likelihood it will clash with another V amongst the 1000s of
> packages Fedora consists of is simply too high.

Have you tried or are you guessing?

> automake should have used a name-space guarded variable, instead or
> not be using any variable at all but be relying on a configure-time
> option (--enable-verbose or similar) only.

But it *is* relying on a configure-time option.  Point is, developers
can override those in their configure.ac script, or default them in a
different way than we do, even if they shouldn't.  This isn't new, this
has always been the case with Autoconf-generated configure scripts.

Thanks,