Re: Makefile.in and Makefile not generated when using a static library

From: William Pursell
Subject: Re: Makefile.in and Makefile not generated when using a static library
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:34:48 -1000

Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> Hello William.  I hope you don't mind a little nitpicking on your
> overall good suggestions...

Absolutely not.  One of the main reasons I ever post
solutions on any forum is to get criticism.  I've
discovered that learning things about which I am
totally ignorant is much easier than unlearning
things that are wrong, and getting nitpicked when
providing a solution is the best way to discover
when I'm wrong.  So the nitpicking is appreciated.

>> Rename the file configure.ac, and modify the contents to be:
>>
>> AC_INIT([MultiSour], [0.8])
>> AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([src/app/SimpMSourSimu.cpp])
>> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])
>> AC_PROG_CXX
>> AC_PROG_INSTALL

> Strictly speaking, AC_PROG_INSTALL is redundant here, being already
> AC_REQUIRE'd by AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE (this should hold from Automake 1.4
> at least, I think).

Yes, I thought the AC_PROG_INSTALL was unnecessary, but a quick
perusal of the docs didn't show that immediately, so I left
it in.

>> LT_INIT
> Also, I don't think this is required: he's just trying to build a
> static library, so libtool is an overkill.  AC_PROG_RANLIB should be
> enough.  (Note: I have pratically no real experience in using libtool
> and in building static libraries with automake, so correct me if I'm
> wrong!).

Is there any reason to avoid LT_INIT and use AC_PROG_RANLIB
instead?  I thought that AC_PROG_RANLIB was considered
deprecated, so that LT_INIT would be preferred here.

--
William Pursell