Re: [avr-chat] AVR/Fuzzy logic

From: Matthew MacClary
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR/Fuzzy logic
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:44:06 -0700

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:08:04PM -0600, Marlin Unruh wrote:
>   I am 100% grateful for your response. I have been interested in
>   fuzzy logic for years, but have not used it to date. I have lots
>   of questions but don't want to make you regret that you responded.

    I am happy to answer some questions; fuzzy logic really is a good
approach for those of us who have to actually make a working devices,
instead of just writing academic papers!

>   What fuzzy engine did you chose and use?

    I just wrote my own.  I counted the lines of code in the
controller I mentioned in my previous email, and it was only 191 lines
including comments and empty lines. So I think that you can probably
do it yourself at least during the learning stages. Maybe later, you
will find out if there are some advanced features you don't want to
spend time writing.

>   I have looked at http://www.fuzzytech.com/. In fact I purchased
>   the the package for the 68HC11 years ago and have never used it.

    I haven't seen that product before, but it looks pretty. If they
did a good job, then the software you purchased would hopefully still
be relevant.

>   I have a project at hand that I really want to implement in fuzzy
>   logic, but don't really know where to start. Most of the
>   information I have found on the web is 5 to 10 years old, that is
>   why I was thinking fuzzy logic was history.

    Yeah, I did have to do a lot of reading and distilling until I
figured out that it really is simple. Here is a web page with a brief
example controller and some BSD'ed source code:

http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~macclary/fuzz_steer/

-Matt

Where did the universe come from?