Re: [avr-chat] "Proper" programmer for Linux ?

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] "Proper" programmer for Linux ?
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:54:19 -0700

HI Vincent,

On 7/2/07, Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden> wrote:
"Dave Hylands" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I use my AVRISP mkII from linux with avrdude (requires USB).
> The STK500 also works well with avrdude under linux

Is one significantly cheaper than the other ? Where can I find/buy it ?
I looked at RS/radiospares website, but they don't sell any in-circuit
programmer for the AVR..

All of the following are available from Digikey (http://www.digikey.com/)

ATAVRISP2 - AVRISP mkII - $43.74
ATSTK500 -STK500 kit  $102.05
ATAVRDRAGON - AVR Dragon - $59.33
ATAVRDEVKIT1 - Bundle of STK500 + Dragon - $59.68
ATAVRDEVKIT2 - Bundle of JTAGICE2 + Dragon - $182.69

Note that the devkit's often show zero in stock. This is because they
actually put the kits together on an as needed basis. So order it even
if it shows not in stock.

Right now, the STK500 + Dragon bundle is probably the best deal going.

The dragon can be used to do ISP or JTAG and the STK500 is really nice
for initial prototyping.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada