Re: [avr-chat] Re: Programmer for everyone!

From: Clemens Koller
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Re: Programmer for everyone!
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:24:22 +0200

Hi there!

Thanks for your comments!

Graham Davies wrote:
Clemens Koller wrote:
Well, it seems that everyone builds his own programmer and starts to
struggle again with wiring, configuration of programming software etc. pp.

This isn't really true. There are a large number of programmers out there with various capabilities and fair prices. Take a look on AVRfreaks. People only build their own if they value the learning experience or have lots of time and no money. On the other hand, Atmel have kept the designs of newer debug interfaces closed (the JTAG ICE MkII and Dragon) and it might be interesting to see what can be done *legally* in this area.

What can be done *illegally* here?
Is reengineering debug interfaces illegal of a product I bought?!

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> I think Matthias Weißer's USBisp is now completely open source,
> including the CAD files used for the PCBs.  It's USB-only, but if you
> want, you could always add a MAX232 as well.  It talks STK500
> protocol, and is thus well-supported by both, avrdude and AVR Studio.
>
> There are other similar programmers around, like a number of
> firmware-USB programmers.

Yeah, the USBisp seems to be a very nice tool!
That's quite that thing what I was thinking about.

Then, my idea was to extend i.e. the USBisp with a debugwire
functionality (if leagal 8-) on the one hand and with generic
JTAG support on the other hand (I don't know if it's already
in the software, shouldn't be a big deal).

I want to integrate that circuit into my hardware to program that
from an external interface as well as allow it to reprogram
itself (parts of it's JTAG chain as FPGAs and other Processors).

(*) Programming of an AVR in a JTAG chain isn't possible, right?!

--
Clemens Koller