Re: [avr-chat] Can't Install avr-gcc in FreeBSD

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Can't Install avr-gcc in FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:13:13 +0200

Brian Dean wrote:
On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 09:39:10PM +0200, David Brown wrote:

As long as someone has put together that information for your chosen system, installation is generally simple (occasional slips can occur in any system), and normally faster and easier than windows-style installation wizards. It is when the packages do not exist for your combination of distribution, chosen software, and required versions, that installation can be far more awkward with *nix.

And even moreso on Windows.  People were in for a real ordeal before
WinAVR became available, for instance.

I've been there and done that - and I would not recommend it to the inexperienced!

I think we agree that ports (or apt-get for Debian-style Linux) is a much better system than windows installers, and that "./configure && make" on *nix is much better than getting cygwin or mingw installed, then running "./configure && make" (and fixing the problems along the way) on windows without an installer. I'm just saying that a windows installer is easier than "./configure && make" on *nix when there is no package available for your chosen system, and that this situation turns up regularly.

mvh.,

David