Re: [avr-chat] µC/avr crypto lib

From: Rick Altherr
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] µC/avr crypto lib
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:44:08 -0700

On Jul 24, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Bob Blick wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:08:44 -0600, "Weddington, Eric"
<address@hidden> said:

However I see a small problem. According to your wiki, you're using the
GPLv3 license. Most embedded developers will stay away from the GPL
license unless there is an exception to allow linking to proprietary code without the proprietary code becoming GPL. See, for example, the license
used for libgcc in the GCC project. AVR-LibC is licensed under the
modified BSD license, which is a very liberal license and allows the user
to do anything with the code. This allows users to use the AVR GCC
toolchain, including the libraries, in commercial products.

I think that is just one point of view. Part of the spirit of GPL is to further public development. That is why code I release to the public is
released under GPL. I want improvements to it done by others available
to the public.

If I wanted to use this crypto lib in a closed commercial product I
could contact the developer and try to arrange commercial licensing.

BSD and LGPL licenses have their place. They are tilted towards
commercial products full of closed code. Public development is
dead-ended.

Be sure to tell that to the FreeBSD community. BSD and LGPL do not stifle contributions in any way. GPL is just forcing people's hand to its own detriment. In many cases, a business will extend a BSD- licensed library and contribute the changes back since their product isn't the library but the product using that library. On the other hand, a GPL'd library can't be used in a commercial software product at all, so those businesses will never contribute back since they can't use the license to begin with.

If you look at who contributes and who benefits, GPL provides continuity
for education and community development.

Cheerful regards,

Bob

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?