Re: [avr-chat] µC/avr crypto lib

From: Bob Blick
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] µC/avr crypto lib
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:45:17 -0700

Hi Eric,

Ahh, back to reasonable discourse. Good.

So how can we license code and insure that improvements to it go back to
the community, while still allowing it to be used in a proprietary
system? Because I can see how this is almost the opposite of the
personal computer, where the hardware is mostly generic and software can
be installed by users.

And in the embedded system, the software is fixed in the machine and
license violations are basically undetectable once the code is compiled,
optimized and linked.

I understand the GPL is based on strict principles. What compromises do
BSD and LGPL make, and what are their differences? Because holding Apple
up as a shining example of why the BSD license is good has the opposite
effect on me.

Cheerful regards,

Bob