Re: RE: [avr-chat] µC/avr crypto lib

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: RE: [avr-chat] µC/avr crypto lib
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:48:48 +0200 (MET DST)

"Weddington, Eric" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Note that in my original post I also mentioned GPL+exception, which
> is the license of libgcc (that comes with the compiler).

I think this kind of "GPL + exception" is a reasonable choice if
someone thinks he needs some kind of enforcement about changes made to
their original source code.  It's for sure better than LGPL since that
(last time I looked into it) would require you to give away the object
code (FSF's reasoning: so the end-user could re-link it against a
newer version of the LGPL'ed library).  Giving away the object code
for an AVR application is unfeasable for most users.  After all, the
controller vendors equipped their chips with lock bits so nobody could
read the firmware back... giving away the object code would completely
defeat that.