Fwd: [avr-chat] Schematics & PCB design software

From: Mike Murphree
Subject: Fwd: [avr-chat] Schematics & PCB design software
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:16:46 -0600

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Anton Erasmus <address@hidden> wrote:

Just to give an idea of the speed of Specctra and Electra routers. My friend
did a full size PC Interface Card with a 32-bit CPU, RAM etc. on a 4 layer board.
It took him in the order 60 hours to fully route the PCB. Specctra routed the same board
with the same design rules in less than 2 minutes. The one Demo PCB in Protal/Altium
which the Protel/Altium router routes on 8 layers in about 3 hours, Specctra routes in
2 layers using the same clearances and track widths in less than 5 minutes.

Back when I was doing boards in a big professional house, Specctra was very expensive, e.g. tens of thousands of dollars.  What does it cost now?  It may not be feasible for everyone.

Mike