[avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 04:40:09 +0100

Hi,

I haven't even received my Dragon yet, probably in 10 days or so, but I
already have questions, following study of the avrdude man page.

- I am currently using a parallel port DIY cable, ISP programming then,
and I notice that it's very slow to download stuff, a bit painful as I
download numerous times a day while debugging. I would say about 5KB/s
maximum. I intend to use JTAG intead of ISP, with my Dragon. What
kind of download speed can I expect from a Dragon using JTAG ?

- My current project actually uses two distinct board. The main board
which is the actual product I am designing, and another board connected
to it, which simulates the hardware that my project is going to be
connected to once finished. Anyway, I keep having to unplug the ISP
connector from one board to that of the other board, and vice versa,
every time I make a change to either board. A bit of a pain, and prone
to errors ! Yes... I did download the code destined to board A.. into
board B.... big badaboom !! :-O :-/
I understand that JTAg, thanks to its very nature, allows to chain
devices, allowing to talk with any one dvice from a single JTAG port.

- So, is avrdude (assuming the Dragon itself is able to do it?) capable
of selecting which of my two AVR chips it is to talk to (and how do I
specify the one I want to select ?), or will I have to have two
distinct JTAG headers, one for each board, just like I have two
separate ISP header currently ?

Thanks ! :-)

Regards,

--
Vince, sooo impatient to receive his Dragon, can't stay in place !