Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:06:42 +0100 (MET)

David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I understand that JTAg, thanks to its very nature, allows to chain
>> devices, allowing to talk with any one dvice from a single JTAG port.
>
> In practice I don't think the Dragon supports that.

Of course, it does.  We aren't in MSP430 land here...  (From what I've
heard, MSP430 has a crippled and incomplete JTAG implementation that
doesn't allow chaining.)

You need AVRDUDE 5.6, where you can specify -x jtagchain UB,UA,BB,BA.
UB is "units before", UA is "units after", BB is "bits before", BA is
"bits after".  Each AVR shifts by 4 bits within the JTAG chain.  So if
you've got two AVRs in one chain, depending on which AVR you are
talking to, you use "-x jtagchain 0,1,0,4", or "-x jtagchain 1,0,1,4".

The only disadvantage of that solution is that you cannot debug both
targets simultaneously.

AVR Studio offers a similar setup box somewhere.