Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude and JTAG / Dragon...
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 05:41:56 +0100

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:15:27 -0600
David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> You are complaining about 6 seconds to program your ATmega32?

Actually the program so far is only 10KB. But it takes like 2 seconds
to write, another 2 seconds to read back/verify, so that's 4/5
seconds ! ;-
Okay, in absolute terms it seems like a very short time. But I
sometimes I do a 5 seconds change in the program (change a constant,
comment out/uncomment code, what have you), 20 times in a row, so 5
seconds start to feel like eternity ! ;-P
I think I am more like anticipating the pain it will be when the
program progressively grows and will eventually be nearing the
32KB limit, and I the waiting times will be more like 15 seconds, which
will I am sure feel like eternity (for good this time ;-).
And if I mose to mega64... 30 seconds, ouch !

So when I read in the avrdude man page, that the JTAG ICE achieved
100KB/s download speed (well, it says 1us bit time, so I did the
maths ;-), which is 20 times faster than my DIY ISP cable presently,
well JTAG was looking rather promising ! Maybe the Dragon can't go as
fast as the JTAG ICE, but even if it manages half the speed, it will
still delight me !

> > I understand that JTAg, thanks to its very nature, allows to chain
> > devices, allowing to talk with any one dvice from a single JTAG port.
>
> In practice I don't think the Dragon supports that.

:o((((((((

> Solution: buy two Dragons!

Hey Dave, you want to bankrupt me or what ?! ;-)
I have already spent 200 bucks to import my 240x128 graphic LCD module
direct from the manufacturer (Matrix Orbital) in Canada, please let my
wallet breathe a bit lol ! ;-)

> I have a dead Dragon laying around somewhere. No longer appears on
> USB device list. Haven't pursued it but would be nice if it only had
> zapped FLASH and could be revived using another Dragon.

I blow AVR chips, and you blow Dragons... maybe you should set up a
"blowers" club...

--
Vince