Re: [avr-chat] Selection of AVR for my project

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Selection of AVR for my project
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:41:16 -0500

On Apr 25, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Keith Gudger <address@hidden> wrote:

> Have you considered a firmware only USB implementation?  Here's
> one:http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/index.html
>
> I've used a similar firmware before, and it worked fine.  There seems to be
> an i2c implementation here:
> http://www.harbaum.org/till/i2c_tiny_usb/index.shtml

Those are options. I'm guessing this is a one-off experiment. I'd visit my
favorite vendor, DigiKey, Mouser, Newark, etc, and see what is available in
demo kits with USB. All the manuals and software are online for download from
Atmel. Study them, see what your vendor stocks, and make a selection.

Each demo board has an assortment of demo projects which will come up running
pretty quickly. HID on USB should have multiple options to chose from.

For example I'm currently using an ATxmega256A3BU X-plain board with USB and
LCD and I forget what else. It was about $50. But I'm not using USB or LCD, I
wanted DMA and AES. When/if the time comes to make my own board I'll go back to
the Atmel matrix and select a CPU which meets my needs. But then again if this
one is $8 and another is $7.50 I'll probably not change.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden