Re: [avr-chat] binutils, gcc and avr-libc versions

From: Bob von Knobloch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] binutils, gcc and avr-libc versions
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:05:12 +0200

On 28/04/13 21:55, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Bob von Knobloch <address@hidden> wrote:

While this seems to be 'more correct', it seems a large change from
previous versions.

Actually, GCC not insisting on a flash object being "const" before has
been a bug (which simply nobody noticed before).  That bug had to be
fixed in order for Johann to be able to implement the new __flash
named address space.

It's an unfortunate side-effect of fixing bugs that the fix sometimes
breaks code that used to work in the past.

On the pro side, the __flash named address space is something we've
not even dared thinking about in GCC some ten years ago.

Thanks for the explanation Joerg, are there any docs about this change?
My original question is still, however, if there is a 'preferred' release of binutils & gcc with which to build avr-gcc, or should we always look for the latest versions?

Many thanks for all your work on the avr toolchain.

Bob

--
The Sun is out, the sky is blue, it's time to drive the MR2.