Re: [avr-chat] binutils, gcc and avr-libc versions

From: Bob von Knobloch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] binutils, gcc and avr-libc versions
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:21:58 +0200

On 29/04/13 23:13, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Bob von Knobloch <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Joerg, are there any docs about this
change?

You mean, about the __flash address space?

I think Johann has been thoroughly documenting his changes and
additions.  Yes, look here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Named-Address-Spaces.html

My original question is still, however, if there is a 'preferred'
release of binutils & gcc with which to build avr-gcc, or should we
always look for the latest versions?

Well, the "latest stable version", I'd say.  Due to all of Johann's
work, I'd strongly recommend using at least GCC 4.7.2 (but 4.7.3 has
been released meanwhile, too).  Of course, 4.8.0 is still rather new,
so there's probably not much experience around about it.

For the binutils, I think the latest version is always a good choice,
as they are relatively stable (in terms of the AVR target) anyway.

OK, maybe I shouldn't have gone for gcc 4.8.0 but the gcc website wants sell it as 'released' (they don't use the word 'stable' at all AFIK. I've been following the flash address stuff, I suppose it's time to take it seriously :=)

It's not avr, it's gcc, but do you know where I can find the docs for gcc that explain this 'picky' new behaviour of requiring 'const' ? (Yes, I have trawled the gcc website, but haven't found anything.) This is in case there is an option to relax it , which would save me many hours of rewriting code.

Cheers,

Bob
--
The Sun is out, the sky is blue, it's time to drive the MR2.