Re: [avr-chat] binutils, gcc and avr-libc versions

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] binutils, gcc and avr-libc versions
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 23:13:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Bob von Knobloch <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation Joerg, are there any docs about this
> change?

You mean, about the __flash address space?

I think Johann has been thoroughly documenting his changes and
additions.  Yes, look here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Named-Address-Spaces.html

> My original question is still, however, if there is a 'preferred'
> release of binutils & gcc with which to build avr-gcc, or should we
> always look for the latest versions?

Well, the "latest stable version", I'd say.  Due to all of Johann's
work, I'd strongly recommend using at least GCC 4.7.2 (but 4.7.3 has
been released meanwhile, too).  Of course, 4.8.0 is still rather new,
so there's probably not much experience around about it.

For the binutils, I think the latest version is always a good choice,
as they are relatively stable (in terms of the AVR target) anyway.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/