[Axiom-developer] RE: [AxiomDownload]

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [AxiomDownload]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:28:08 -0400

Ralf,

> On 04/18/2006 05:42 PM, Bill Page wrote:
> > Ralf,
> >
> > I believe that it is/has been Tim Daly's procedure to first
> > update the tla archive, as and when patches are applied but
> > to only promote the code to CVS after more thorough testing -
> > about once every two months or so.  The same CVS is available
> > at both Savannah and Sourceforge, with sourceforge as a backup
> > site. So the tla archive is not always in synch with the CVS.
> > The tla archive is more current but less tested. Right, Tim?
> > Perhaps we should only call the CVS "gold".

Tim replied:

On April 18, 2006 12:06 PM you wrote:
> Sorry for all the confusion that was introduced by my update
> of http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDownload, but you see
> exactly this confusion should be resolved.

So what you wrote is fine and my understanding of the process
was a little flawed. No problem.

> No, I would not call the CVS stuff "gold". We have blessed
> the gold and silver branches already. Let's call it "diamond".
> ;-)

It seems just that one can obtain "gold" in more than one
way. :)

> Anyway, please let's make it completely clear what the
> release cycles of the various archives are. Otherwise
> nobody knows which source archive is good for which thing.

So far it seems that they are only good for one thing. ;)

> > I am not sure (yet) what we should say about the "silver"
> > svn version since it still seems highly experimental to me -
> > at least until we have an active maintainer of this version.
> > As of Tim's most recent patch-49, the code of the source in
> > svn is out of date.
>
> Well, I am actually also waiting for Gaby to post some more
> details about the process of how the development model for
> Axiom should be.

Yes. Is it also true that we have a "gold" branch in svn at
SourceForge?

> Please let's reduce all this confusion. Suppose you are new
> to Axiom knowledgable in CVS and you want to contribute code
> to axiom. You look at FrontPage. AND THEN???

This question is a good one although the scenario seems a little
doubtful to me (i.e. someone new to Axiom contributing code ...),
but I presume that before doing this they would first have at
least visited:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/BuildAxiom

which has a link to:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDevelopment

There is a also a link there from FAQ.

Perhaps there should be a direct link from the FrontPage?