Re: [Axiom-developer] Hypertex and constructors

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hypertex and constructors
Date: 25 Oct 2006 20:44:48 +0200

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > | As few people noticed hypertex searches for constructors where
| > | giving no result, for example clicking on "NAG link" and then
| > | on "Browser pages for individual routines" gives:
| > |
| > | There is no constructor matching pattern  "Nag*"
| > |
| > | AFAICS it is due to fake 'libdb.text' which is copied from
| > | 'src/algebra' into target algebra directory. If one instead
| > | uses freshly build 'libdb.text' then hypertex is able to
| > | find Nag routines. BTW I also copied freshly build 'comdb.text'
| > | to the target algebra directory, since apparently 'libdb.text'
| > | contains references to 'comdb.text' but I am not sure is
| > | 'comdb.text' is actually used (I was able to find Nag routines
| > | both with and without 'comdb.text').
| >
| > Kudos for your detective work.
| >
| > >From my perspective, in the majority of cases it is WRONG for Axiom to
| > ever cache things and copy them directly to installation.  We should
| > be installing info about things we have built, not things that were
| > built somewhere else and cached.
| >
| > Erring on the conservative side, I would be glad to review a patch that
| > copy both libdb.text and comdb.text freshly built.  The cached files
| > should go away.
| >

| The following patch builds with build-improvements, and allows browsing
| constructors.  The 'src/share/doc/hypertex/pages/util.ht' hunk is so that
| I could test the patch (that is start the browser). The
| 'src/hyper/htinp.pamphlet' hunk adjusts paths in generated pages.
|
| With the patch it is possible to remove 'src/algebra/libdb.text'.
| Even without the patch it is possible to remove 'src/share/algebra/libdb.text'
| and 'src/share/algebra/comdb.text' (both are unused).

This looks fine to me.  Could say on which platform you built and
tested this change?  Please add appropriate ChangeLog entry.  This
change should go to silver too; please send a corresponding patch
for review (I appreciate some path changes on build-improvements are
not reflected yet on silver).