Re: [Axiom-developer] Hypertex and constructors

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Hypertex and constructors
Date: 26 Oct 2006 02:35:14 +0200

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| I wrote:
| > I tested build-improvements on x86-64 Debian testing, using bundled
| > noweb and gcl.  Now, I also tested silver on 32-bit Debian sarge
| > (x86-64 Debian testing is still working on silver).
|
| Unfortunatly, silver does not build on x86-64 Debian testing:
|
| 1 linking /var/tmp/hebisch/axp7/silver/axiom/mnt/linux/lib/viewman
| gcc: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.a: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu
| make[4]: *** [/var/tmp/hebisch/axp7/silver/axiom/mnt/linux/lib/viewman] Błąd 1
|
| The error message says: "No such file or directory".  x86-64 Debian
| testing has X libraries in '/usr/bin', and apparently silver can not
| handle this.

This is a known problem several people ran into.

The issue is that the build machineries on silver and golden hardcode
many things in the makefiles (in particular the path to X11 headers and
libraries) based only on the OS brand, instead of using the standard
canonical triplet cpu-vendor-os.  The net effect is that if your OS
brand is not special-cased and you're running something vaguely
ressembling GNU/Linux, you get the Makefile for linux.  Now, there
everything is hardcoded based on some particular configuration (in
particular 32-bit). Thus failure if you don't meet those unsopken
assumptions.  The path to the X11 library on your
64-bit system is most likely /usr/X11R6/lib64.

The canonical solution to that sort of problem is to use the standard
build tools, i.e. Autoconf.  That is what the build-improvements
branch does.