[Axiom-developer] Re: patches and fixes

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: patches and fixes
Date: 27 Oct 2006 18:58:51 +0200

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| On Friday, October 27, 2006 11:53 AM Gaby wrote:
| >
| > Tim Daly wrote writes:
| >
| > [...]
| >
| > | There are a large number of "fixes" being applied which appear
| > | to have nothing to do with autotools, such as the sttaylor fix
| > | and the sage change. Worse yet, it appears that the sage
| > | connection won't work with gold so sage users cannot get the
| > | latest axiom "gold" release.
| >
| > Which "Sage connection" patch do you have in mind?
| >

| I recently prepared a source package (spkg) for Sage that allows
| Sage users to easily install Axiom by just doing
|
|   $ sage -I axiom4sage-0.1.spkg
|
| Sage supervises build Axiom from source - well actually it just
| calls a script included in the spkg - but to sage users this
| should "feel" very easy because they are used to doing the same
| thing with several other optional Sage packages.

That is good news fro Axiom -- sorry for not following closer.

| axiom4sage-0.1.spkg is built using the experimental build-
| improvements Axiom source distribution because I wanted to test
| it and to take advantage of the flexibility of the autoconf
| tools to allow Axiom to be built on as wide a range of platforms
| as possible.

Indeed.  If I understand correctly, Tim is worried abotu that patch in
build-improvements.  However, unless I'm completely off, you did not
commit it to that branch right?

Your experiment should be appraised.  I'm sure you ran into issues; I
would be glad to hear of them so that we can provide fixes.