RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:06:17 -0400

On Friday, October 27, 2006 3:06 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> > If you are able to identify and annonate the chunks of this
> > changeset that represent deletions, additions and those that
> > need further discussion, I think that would be great. Except
> > for the issue of the annoying '.arch-ids' files, I still think
> > the best approach to synchronize /silver and /trunk would be
> > for Tim to apply the necessary patchs to his tla archive
> > 'axiom--silver--1'. I think we need to get the workflow running
> > properly and automatically from axiom--silver--1 into /silver
> > and manually from /silver back to Tim as I suggested in a
> > previous email.
> >

> I think that as a one-time syncing operation we should apply
> Tim's changes to /trunk (and Tim should look at the (very small)
> difference). Once Tim's changes are in /trunk your robot can
> automatically update /trunk.

I have one technical reason for preferring to do the merge
the other way, from /trunk into /silver. That is because we
currently have axiom--silver--1 in sync with /silver and a
robot in place (using Tailor) so that any changes made to
axiom--silver--1 will be automatically reflected in /silver
and the two will remain in sync.

If we apply changes to /trunk that effectively leaves Tim out
of the loop, plus it means that we lose syncronization with
axiom--silver--1 which is to be Tim's primary source repository
for Silver. Switching the Robot over to update /trunk might be
a bit tricky because it is necessary to ensure that the robot
has accurate knowledge of the state of each repository.

There is however one drawback of what I propose. Apparently
when Tim created axiom--silver--1 he did not retain any of
the prior history of the axiom--main--1 branch. SVN /silver
shares the lack of memory, while /trunk which was derived
from the original CVS at SourceForge, has a much longer trail
of changes. Updating /silver via axiom--silver--1 with patches
from /trunk will not recreate very much of the history. But
maybe this sort of revision history is not so important for
the Axiom project?

> Summary of the diff: there are 23 changed files.

[details omitted]

Thank you very much for your work on this! :-)

For now, I propose that we wait and see what Tim manages to
do do with his attempt to perform the merge into axiom--silver-1.