RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:02:32 -0400

On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 5:08 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:

Bill Page wrote:
> > ... Is deleteing and re-creating /trunk a safe and sensible
> > thing to do?
>
> I am not sure if it is safe, but I wonder if it has any
> advantages (like preserving history) compared to other options.

My plan was to delete the existing SVN /trunk and re-create it
using the exact history of Tim's tla branch axiom--silver--1.

> AFAIUT if you throw out history that is easy (probably the
> easiest way): run locally diff on two directory trees (use
> '--exclude' option to exclude metadata) than apply resulting
> patch and commit

Yes.

> Slightly better way (but much more laboriuos) would be to split
> Tim's changes into separate patches and apply and commit them
> separately.

That is exactly what the Tailor program does automatically - no
extra labour involved. That is how Tailor manages to transfer the
history from one kind of repository to another.

> Another thing are changes in current silver, but not in Tim's
> version -- I guess we just need to redo them.

Well, the procedure that we agreed on (I think) was the Tim
would be solely responsible for committing changes to Silver
(axiom--silver-1 == SVN /trunk). Tim's preferred way to do this
is entirely a manual process - send him patches and copy the
axiom-developer list. Personally I think Tim's decision to do
this a bit misguided in this day and age, but that is another
topic that we discussed many months ago... "old dogs, new tricks",
etc., no need to go into that again. :-)