Re: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:08:03 +0200 (CEST)

> Tim,
>
> On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:03 PM you wrote:
> >
> > I did a checkout of the sourceforge SVN root.
> > I'll diff the SVN vs axiom--silver--1 so nothing gets lost.
> >

> Ok. After a little messing things up, I think I now have a
> working automatic procedure to update the SVN silver repository
> with the changes that you commit to the tla axiom--silver--1
> archive.
>
> In the end I decided to leave SVN /trunk alone and to create
> a new top level root called /silver
>
> https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/axiom/silver
>
> This should also get migrated to the Google Code repository
> during the next 24 hours or so (the great google willing ;).
>
> To the best of my ability to research the subject, it seems
> that having two (or more) roots in an svn repository will not
> cause any problems.
>
> The reason I decided to leave /trunk was that in fact there
> are quite a large number of changes from /trunk to your new
> /silver and resolving these differences will take some time.
> If I just applied your version to /trunk a number of changes
> there would end up being reverted, or vice-versa. It is better
> I think, to compare the changes more closely and then for
> someone to send you patches against the new /silver for you
> to evaluate and possibly apply to axiom--silver--1. That way
> the automatic update will gradually make the twi roots more
> nearly identical. Eventually we can remove one or the other
> when they no longer serve any purpose.

I have fetsche /silver from SourceForge.  I do not understand why
you write about big differences. The biggest difference is that
/silver contains .arch-ids subdirectories. AFAICS essential differences
are tiny (869 lines).  /silver has tla-1.1.tar.gz (IIRC removed
from /trunk) and /trunk has PATCH49-50.  Also, /trunk has added ChangeLog
to some subdirectories.

BTW: I run:

diff -ru --exclude=.svn ../axiom1/silver/axiom/ silver2 > s_s2.diff 2>&1

where ../axiom1/silver/axiom/ contains current SourceForge trunk and
silver2 freshly checked out /silver. That gave me 1081 lines of differences.
201 lines are messages about .arch-ids subdirectories.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden