Re: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:08:28 +0200 (CEST)

> One way to do this would be to first of all delete /trunk
> from the repository and rebuild it from the current contents
> of axiom--silver--1, but given the little I understand about
> how SVN works, I am concerned that using svnadmin to delete
> /trunk might have serious consequences for any branch cloned
> from /trunk (such as build-improvements). Am I wrong about
> that? Is deleteing and re-creating /trunk a safe and sensible
> thing to do?

I am not sure if it is safe, but I wonder if it has any advantages
(like preserving history) compared to other options.

> I suppose a safer (but more complex) thing to do would be
> to try to compute a changeset that would modify /trunk in
> just the right way to make it's current state (but not it's
> history!) the same as axiom--silver--1. I could probably do
> that by creating a completely separate /trunk2 and then
> appropriately diff /trunk and /trunk2 - though I will have
> to learn a little more about SVN to do this properly, I
> think.

AFAIUT if you throw out history that is easy (probably the easiest
way): run locally diff on two directory trees (use '--exclude'
option to exlude metadata) than apply resulting patch and commit

Slightly better way (but much more laboriuos) would be to split Tim's
changes into separate patches and apply and commit them separately.

Anather thing are changes in current silver, but not in Tim's
version -- I guess we just need to redo them.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden