RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:01:32 -0400

On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:46 PM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> Doing a delete via svnadmin... I don't think that's the right way.

I am also worried about this.

> One problem with 'svn delete' applied to the trunk and then
> recreation from new files is that you basically double the size
> of the repository since all files from axiom--silver--1 will be
> considered as new files. And that gives a huge changeset.

I would not plan on doing 'svn delete' which would just record
a delete transaction but not actually delete anything - but rather
using svnadmin (not svn) I would completely remove /trunk from
the repository. That would remove all history (metadata?) as well
as the source files.

I would not try to recreate /trunk from the files alone but
rather using Tailor, I can recreate the actual revision history
as well as the contents of axiom--silver--1 as an SVN repository
with the same changeset history and associated metadata.

> Cannot you setup a local svk depot, import axiom--silver--1
> to it.

That would not keep any history from the tla archive.

> Additionally mirror also the sourceforge trunk in that depot,
> compute the changeset and apply it to this mirror (which
> would automatically be committed to Sourceforge).

That is sort of what I had in mind, but the result would be
that the history of the svn /trunk respository would be
different than the history of the tla axiom--silver--1 archive.
Maybe that's not so important.

> Just my meta thoughts. I don't know yet how exactly the
> commands would have to be, but I somehow feel that should be
> the easiest way with a minimal changeset.

Yes, SVK seems to do this kind of thing quite well.