[Axiom-developer] RE: listings oddness

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: listings oddness
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 21:38:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> Cliff,
>
> On May 7, 2007 12:00 AM you wrote:
> > Bill Page wrote:
> > > Normally it is expected that you would use something
> > > that would be interpreted as a comment in whatever
> > > programming language you are using.
> >
> > In this case it doesn't matter - I just need a string that
> > won't show up in any code we will ever write, because it is
> > used only by the listings package when processing the LaTeX.
> > In theory it will never need to be seen by human eyes.
>
> I guess I still don't understand, could you please explain why
> you need this again? Is it to create hyperlinked identifies?

Yes, like those in the root note *.  What I'm doing is taking chunk
references in code blocks and converting them into hyperlinks to the
chunk in question.  In order to do this, I need a TeX hyperlink INSIDE
the code listing, which normally doesn't process TeX commands.  To get
it into TeX mode I need to escape temporarily from the code environment
to the TeX environment, which means I need a unique escape string that
won't coincidently appear in the code and cause confusion.

> have you considered using fancyvrb as described in section
> 4.15 Interface to fancyvrb, page 39  of the listings.pdf? See
> especially morefvcmdparams for how to include hyperref commands.
> Of course this is just "in theory", I haven't tried it yet... :-)

I'm not terribly familiar with fancyvrb, so I went with what looked
like the simplest solution that would work ;-).  fancyvrb might indeed
be a better way to go in the long haul - right now escapeinside is
working so I'll leave it be and go for more pressing things.  I'm
certainly open to better proposals.  (Note to self, get linenumber info
working for tangle output...)

Cheers,
CY