[Axiom-developer] Fricas

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Fricas
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 01:05:49 -0500

Bill,

> But you are paying the bills for the entire axiom-developer.org server
> so I have complied with your request. To me this clearly demonstrates
> that an open source project (like Axiom used to be) should *never*
> allow themselves to get into a situation where significant project
> resources are controlled by only one individual. Never - even if you
> once strongly believed in that person's good intentions.

I don't believe *I* mentioned anything about the axiom-developer server.
I don't believe *I* "forced" you to remove your changes BECAUSE *I*
"control" the server. You have root access on the server and you have
never needed to ask my permission. If you removed your changes for
the stated reasons you have misconstrued my statements.

It is not clear how you can be shocked about the request to remove updates.
We specifically had this discussion on the mailing list.
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2007-07/msg00121.html>
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2007-07/msg00123.html>
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2007-07/msg00146.html>

My objections are stated in terms of the resources of the Axiom project,
  * the goals of the Axiom project
  * the Axiom trademark
  * the history of the project
  * the goodwill associate with the Axiom name
  * the savannah project site
  * the sourceforge project site
  * the Axiom mailing lists
  * the publications such as the Axiom books, thesis work, etc
  * the work associated with the source code and documentation
  * the public presentation of "Axiom"
  * and, yes, the wiki server

If someone writes algebra that only works in FriCAS and not in Axiom
but says that it is "Axiom algebra", could someone be confused?

If a paper appears at ISSAC next year stating it was done on Axiom
but was done on FriCAS and won't work on Axiom what can we say?
Could someone be confused?

If a CD appears in public with the label "Axiom" but contains the
code from the FriCAS project and the person finds bugs should he
post them to the Axiom mailing list? Could someone be confused?

If the code from FriCAS appears in public with the label Axiom
but contains only source code and no pamphlet files, could a
person be confused if they think the Axiom goal of literate
programming is gone?

If someone demonstrates FriCAS and it has abilities that don't
work in Axiom could someone be confused?

FriCAS is capable of developing its own resources.
That's what a fork is.