biborb-general

Re: [biborb-general] authentication

From: Paul Martinelli
Subject: Re: [biborb-general] authentication
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:23:33 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Guillaume and Dominik for your messages.  I
only want to use apache authentication, so based on
your suggestions I tried:

1.  In config.php

/**
 * If TRUE, this will disable authentification.
 * All users will have the administrator status
 */
define("DISABLE_AUTHENTICATION",FALSE);

/**
 * Authentication methods: mysql, files
 * Used if DISABLE_AUTHENTICATION = FALSE
 * define("AUTH_METHOD",'files');
 */

So the biborb specific authentication is commented in
the last lines above?

2.  in .htaccess

# Uncomment to prevent anyone to access .ht* files
(.htaccess, .htpasswd...)
<Files .ht*>
  deny from all
</Files>

# Uncomment to restrict access using apache
authentication
AuthName BibORB Restricted Area
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/pmartinelli/www/biborb/.htpasswd
require valid-user

Thanks Guillaume for clarifying the meaning of the
values in .htaccess for Apache.

However, this is still not working for me and visiting
the biborb url gives me the same error:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete your
request.
Please contact the server administrator,
address@hidden and inform them of the time the
error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in
the server error log.

Any further pointers greatly appreciated.  Thanks so
far.

PM

--- Guillaume Gardey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > 3.  Modified .htaccess by uncommenting the lines
> >
> > <Files .ht*>
> >       deny from all
> > </Files>
> >
> > AuthName BibORB Restricted Area
> > AuthType Basic
> > AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd_biborb
> > require valid-user
> >
> > It seems that the problem is I'm not supplying the
> > right values in the last lines in step 3.  My
> question
> > then is what value should BibORB (for AuthName)
> should
> > be replaced with and what kind of path should be
> > supplied to AuthUserFile (relative to what)?
>
> AuthName is just the message that will be displayed
> when accessing
> Biborb. You can set it to whatever value you want.
>
> AuthUserFile should be set to filesystem path of the
> .htpasswd file. For
> example, on my linux laptop it is located in
> /var/www/biborb/.htpasswd,
> so this is the value of AuthUserFile.
>
> The apache authentication (htpasswd) is different
> from the file
> authentication of Biborb. If you only want the
> apache authentication
> there is no need to activate the file
> authentication.
>
> Don't hesitate to ask if you need more help.
>
> All the best
> Guillaume

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/