bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Questions about Linux and shabdix

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Questions about Linux and shabdix
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:52:39 +0300

On Sunday 24 August 2003 21:30, Kaveh Mousavi wrote:
> --- Payam bahraini <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi dear Mr. Zeini and the list,
> >
> > As I've read and heard, a LUG has to distribute
> > linux
> > freely and schedule meetings for Linux user's and
> > etc.
> >
> > As you know if you want to have a distribution of
> > Linux in Iran, you have to buy it, although it's
> > free
> > of charge in the other places of the world.
> >
> > I think that in order to attract the users to linux
> > and to be a real LUG, we must do something like this
> > to prevent BAD PEOPLE to sell a product that can be
> > freely got or downloaded.
> >
> > I'm looking forward to reading from you.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Payam
>
> Dear Payam bahraini,
> The most important point is that, Free in GNU/Linux is
> related to Freedom and not price.
>
> If we see why many people inseast that the linux for
> an operation system is wrong and it is GNU/Linux, and
> when and why the GNU project came to life, we will see
> the reasons behind it.
>
> If you are interested I can give you some link that
> will lead you to the philosophia of GNU project that
> begun in about 1983(by RMS or Richard Stallman) and in
> 1990-1991 used the linux as its kernel.
>
> for now look at this site,
> www.gnu.org
>
> And read the GNU/GPL, license of most of really free
> softwares.

For more information about RMS and GNU/Linux read:

1. Open Sources
Voices from the Open Source Revolution

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/

2. Free as in Freedom
Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/

And also, cretainly read the GNU manifesto, and

3. Read "The Free Software Definition"

4. "The Philosphy of The GNU Project"

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

And after reading all these, you will have great respect for RMS, and
the GNU project and it's ideas, and then, you will go on and read other
documents by ESR and interviews by Linux Torvalds and see why these
guys disagree with RMS, and then in the end, you will reach the result
that these guys are all freak :-)

Like it or not, as a free software advocate and GPL envangelist, I have
to say that all free software and open source advocates are freaks, in
a sense.

Well, that's the whole point about being a geek I guess.

Cheers

--
/*  "Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a

Aryan Ameri