cardinal-dev

[Cardinal-dev] Parsers

From: David Robins
Subject: [Cardinal-dev] Parsers
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:20:01 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> >I'd love to use a parser understanding EBNF as a basis instead of the
> >parsers currently available wich interact directly with bison/yacc.

Rockit purports to understand EBNF, but unfortunately it looks to be very
early alpha and hasn't been updated for a while.

> You might want to take a look at the yacc parser in the parrot tree
> now. Granted it's in perl, and we won't go into arguments about that
> now, but it does produce a parser for ruby, and might be a good place
> to start.

Doesn't seem to be finished: of the tests in languages/ruby/t, 01 fails
after test 14, 02 after 1; in languages/ruby/Yacc, all fail after 1.

If there is a parser that can generate an AST - whatever its language
(except INTERCAL, but it scoffs at data structures anyway) - that would be
nice to know.  Could someone that's been around parrot/ruby longer than I
have perhaps post a list of any _working_ Ruby parsers here?  Or see if we
can persuade whoever was working on the current code in languages/ruby to
return to it and finish it?

Dave
Isa. 40:31