RE: How do I acquire snapshot older than September 1 ?

From: Cierniak, Michal
Subject: RE: How do I acquire snapshot older than September 1 ?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:32:55 -0700

Yes, it is a little inconvenient to compile Classpath for us too.  But are
you sure that javac wouldn't work?  Shouldn't you be able to specify the
"-classpath" argument to javac to override where the core language classes
are?  We actually use javac and while we get lots of warnings and error
messages, we compile enough of Classpath to make it usable for us.

BTW, feedback we got for ORP was that people find it hard to invest time to
figure out how to build the system just to get a preliminary idea if what we
have satisfies their initial expectations.  In our opinion, that was a good
point and we have just posted an updated version of ORP which includes
prebuild binaries.  We eliminated one step from the process, but ORP users
still must get a snapshot of Classpath and compile it.  Is there any
possibility that someone would place somewhere a snapshot of Classpath to
make the entry barrier smaller for those who just want to evaluate ORP (or
other systems) and Classpath?

To reply to earlier messages, we don't get a new snapshot of Classpath very
often, but it's unlikely that any new additions to Classpath will cause us
any problems, so if you want to use ORP, just get the current snapshot of
Classpath.  The Classpath as it is in the CVS tree will let you at least run
"Hello, world".  If you just add one modification to Classpath, you will be
able to run a lot of programs.  That modification was described by us in an
earlier posting to Classpath (at the end of the message
http://www.mail-archive.com/classpath%40gnu.org/msg02593.html) and it
requires adding a new field to java.lang.Thread.

Thanks,
Michal