Re: Problem in Class.java

From: John Leuner
Subject: Re: Problem in Class.java
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:13:40 +0000

> > > This is not even compiled but It Should Work (TM).
> >
> > I don't mean to criticise, but writing code without compiling it
> > is extremely error prone.
> >

> Sure is.  That's why I sent it here instead of checking it in :)  I didn't
> have a copy of Classpath handy and I don't feel right spending more than a
> few minutes on it at work.

I understand.

> The problem my patch had, though, wouldn't have been caught by the compiler.
> It was a good deal more insidious.

I suppose I mean compiling and running ... but somehow I still think that the
notion of compiling and running the code (in the next few minutes) makes me
spend more time thinking about what I'm writing, maybe subconciously I also
know that it will save time if I fix any problems now and not later.

Hmm, the psychology of programming.

> I believe so.
>
> The patch looks good (much better than my attempt); the only thing I would
> do is put the '[' and 'L' case into the switch ... it's slightly more
> efficient that way, less function calls and such.

Right.

> I'll try and get a cvs tree down tomorrow.

Thanks
John Leuner