Re: nio package and asynchronous io

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: nio package and asynchronous io
Date: 04 Feb 2002 22:08:20 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 18:27, Jakob Praher wrote:
> Am Mon, 2002-02-04 um 18.39 schrieb Nic Ferrier:
> > Jakob Praher <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > do you have any plan on adding nio support and asynchronous io to the
> > > classpath project?
> > > if yes what is your agenda on this subject.
> >
> > I have done a little bit of work for GCJ with this.

I have read the online 1.4 specs for java.nio and thought about how to
implement it but I have done no actual work. We will get it in time, but
nobody is actively working on it at the moment.

java.nio is partly based on work done by Matt Welsh.
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/java-nbio/>
This could be used as basis or inspiration for an actual implementation.

> do have any experience with the orp vm?
> what's the performance compared to the client/server hotspot vms?

The ORP VM should work out of the box with Classpath from CVS and
hopefully we will officially release that code this week.

According to the following reseach Orp does very well compared to other
VMs <http://www.shudo.net/jit/perf/>.

Cheers,

Mark