Re: nio package and asynchronous io

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: nio package and asynchronous io
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 22:19:39 +0100

Mark Wielaard wrote:

I have read the online 1.4 specs for java.nio and thought about how to
implement it but I have done no actual work. We will get it in time, but
nobody is actively working on it at the moment.

For me, most tricky parts of nio is Buffer. You have to extend JNI to enable them, make some special tricks in jvm to allow them to work with acceptable speed.

Do you think that Buffers should be a part of classpath ? Or should they be left for jvm implementors ? There is quite a lot of code there - all kinds of wrapper classes, splitting, views etc. But on the other hand, core get/set functions have to be really optimized for specific jvm...

Any ideas ?

Artur