Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:44:02 -0700

I'm one of the jikes developers.  I know that Jikes 1.15 has some
problems compiling inner classes with private constructors, (jikes
compiles with exit status 0, but execution of the resulting .class file
causes a VerifyError), and there are a few of those in Classpath.  I'm
not sure if the Debian release applied any patches to the stock 1.15
install.  But the CVS version of jikes is looking better.  Jikes 1.16 is
being held up by a few more bugs; I have some partial patches in my
source tree, but have not had the time to get them all in (school has
hit me pretty heavily this semester).  I plan to spend more time on
jikes during the Olympics, when I have time off school.  My plans for
1.16 involve flawless compilation of inner classes, and I'm getting
closer.

I haven't tried compiling Classpath with the latest CVS, so I'm not sure
if it solves all the VerifyErrors of 1.15.  If you would like, I can see
about adding a tag to CVS on a stable version of jikes (possibly
reverting one or two unstable patches), to coordinate with a release of
Classpath, then provide instructions for obtaining this interim version
of jikes.

--
This signature intentionally left boring.

Eric Blake             address@hidden
  BYU student, free software programmer