Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13
Date: 05 Feb 2002 20:39:13 +0100

Hi Eric,

On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 22:44, Eric Blake wrote:
> I'm one of the jikes developers.  I know that Jikes 1.15 has some
> problems compiling inner classes with private constructors, (jikes
> compiles with exit status 0, but execution of the resulting .class file
> causes a VerifyError), and there are a few of those in Classpath.

OK. That might explain why some people are not seeing these things. As
far as I know KissMe, SableVM and Orp don't have verifiers at the
moment. Tom Tromey recently added a verifier to gij though. But they
don't use jikes but gcj to compile to class files.

> I'm  not sure if the Debian release applied any patches to the stock
> 1.15 install.
I don't think so. From the package page:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/jikes.html
you can get at their source diff
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/j/jikes/jikes_1.15-0.1.diff.gz
And it only contains one actual patch for NaN values.

> I haven't tried compiling Classpath with the latest CVS, so I'm not sure
> if it solves all the VerifyErrors of 1.15.  If you would like, I can see
> about adding a tag to CVS on a stable version of jikes (possibly
> reverting one or two unstable patches), to coordinate with a release of
> Classpath, then provide instructions for obtaining this interim version
> of jikes.

That would be very nice to have. But we need a way to check if it solves
the verify errors. I will spend some time tomorrow to see how/if we can
use the gcj verifier for this.

I am aiming to have the release tarball ready on friday.
How much time would you need to get an interim jikes version going?
Anything I can do to help get it ready?
I can generate binaries for GNU/Linux x86 and powerpc.

Cheers,

Mark