Re: generation of gnu/java/locale/*.uni

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: generation of gnu/java/locale/*.uni
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:49:53 +0100

Eric Blake wrote:

I'm looking at updating java.lang.Character to JDK 1.4 specs (and
Unicode 3.0).  Does anyone know what programs generated
gnu/java/locale/*.uni?  I ask because I need to add more information to
each character to cover the new DIRECTIONALITY category designations.

I know that I tell it every time Character issue comes - but aren't we
going to use alternative Character posted here some time ago (2 years?).
It had a LOT better performance (no object creation during check and
check itself quite faster) , encoded all data in Strings (so there was
no need to play tricks with loaders and dependency on gnu/something
class). Only problem I had was, I was unable to compile it with old
jikes due to some funny unicode.

Even if it might be out-of-date and non-compilable today, it might be
nice to maybe work with it ? Or otherwise tell me that it WON'T be used
ever, so I can stop touching this subject every time Character is on
board :)

Just in case:
http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~delwi/classpath/

Artur