Re: generation of gnu/java/locale/*.uni

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: generation of gnu/java/locale/*.uni
Date: 16 Feb 2002 14:29:10 -0500

Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

> Brian Jones wrote:
> >
> > doc/unicode/unicode-muncher.pl
>
> Thanks.  Should I try to update Classpath to Unicode 3.2.0 (currently in
> beta, expected to be final next month), 3.1.1 (the current stable
> state), or 3.0 (the version mentioned in the 1.4 javadoc of
> java.lang.Character)?
>
> JLS 3.1 states "The Java platform will track the Unicode specification
> as it evolves. The precise version of Unicode used by a given release is
> specified in the documentation of the class Character."  I think the
> choice is between documenting that we are using the latest definition
> 3.2.0, or else sticking with 3.0.0 to match the behavior of Sun, but
> want to know what others think.

As I recall Unicode now requires more bits than a Java 'char' allows.
I don't know that helps at all?  I don't really know what Sun's
solution is.  It looks like we did update to unicode data 3.0, but I
know our implementation fails many Mauve tests related to Character.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>