Re: Removing the TARGET_* layer or not ?

From: Michael Koch
Subject: Re: Removing the TARGET_* layer or not ?
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:50:54 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 4. August 2004 10:06 schrieb Ingo Prötel:
> Hi,
>
> Roman Kennke wrote:
> > Am Di, den 03.08.2004 schrieb Ingo Prötel um 15:39:
> >>Hi Michael,

> >>Yes, the TARGET-layer is in active use here.
> >>
> >>The TARGET-layer has two advantages:
> >>1. It makes JNI-code more readable,
> >>2. It makes porting simple.
> >>
> >>It makes JNI-code more readable because whenever a native
> >> function is called there is only one macro call. The other
> >> possibility would be that one has ifdefs for every system
> >> (possibly for every system+architecture) that one wants to
> >> support with this code. This would make the JNI-code difficult
> >> to read.
> >>
> >>It makes porting easier in that one can reuse generic macros and
> >> only needs to override specific macros that differ for a given
> >> new system. And this all can happen without modifing the actual
> >> JNI-code. So the main step in porting is creating a new
> >> subdirectory in tartget name it Solaris. Copy over all the files
> >> in the Linux target. Add this to the include path. Then just
> >> work on the error that the compiler will find and where
> >> necessary create Solaris specific macros.
> >>
> >>If there is interest we could provide our Solaris, Darwin, and
> >> MinGW TARGET-layer. This would probably help to understand how
> >> this layer is helpful. In any case we can help if anyone needs
> >> help understanding the code.
> >
> > I have thought about how I would design this stuff in order to
> > write portable code:
> > 1. first of all, try to stick to POSIX standard stuff ;)
> > 2. Of course there are situations where this won't do. In this
> > case I would split out the non-portable stuff on a case-by-case
> > basis in the following scheme: Suppose you have the following
> > expressions in a function (pseudocode):
> >
> > func() {
> >   exp_a;
> >   exp_b;
> >   exp_c;
> > }
> >
> > of which exp_b is not portable. Then make a function call out of
> > it:
> >
> > func() {
> >   exp_a;
> >   do_b();
>
>      TARGET_NATIVE_B();  // this is what it currently looks like
>
> >   exp_c;
> > }
> >
> > and define the function in a file in a file in an OS-specific
> > subdir.
>
> This is actually what the whole idea is about. Except that macros
> are used instead of functions. The problem with functions is that
> many embedded compilers cannot inline function calls. This would be
> ok if the overhead would really be only one function call but if
> you got through the JNI-code and replace every TARGET-macro with a
> function call you will see that there are more function calls
> involved. Maybe we could get some mixed mode where we leave the
> macros in place and the macros for Linux just point to functions.
> [...]

I'm not a friend of this one-OS-one-dir approach. I would more test
for features with autoconf and use the features if present. This
makes it more easy to port to another arch. When the feature is
available there, use it. If not, add some code to make it work.

The TARGET api is really not intutive and the very long MACRO names
makes it even harder to understand. Sometimes the names just badly
choosed. The "Linux" layer is full of bugs. And I suppose your other
ports are too because they are copies of the "Linux" layer. Some bugs
are fixed in the classpath version of "Linux". I wonder how many of
them were ported to you other ports. When an autoconf approach you
wouldnt even think about this. I know that with the autoconf approach
the patches need a closed review and more testing before they go in
but IMO this is much better then duplicatin bugs over several trees.

I was pretty surprised when ypu wrote yesterday, that you have more
"ports" then just "Linux". Why don't you submitted them ? I think it
would be a very good idea to support as much OSes upstream as
possible, even Plan9 and QNX and ...

Michael