Re: Removing the TARGET_* layer or not ?

From: Andy Walter
Subject: Re: Removing the TARGET_* layer or not ?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:17:03 +0200

Hi,

I'm sorry for the trouble which was caused by the target layer. Actually, I'm
quite surprised about the massive critique now. When we asked to check it in
more than one year ago, there was very little feedback and the feedback we
got was mainly quite positive.

We are currently preparing the native layers of

- RTEMS
- Solaris
- embOS

for check in into the Classpath repository next week. Especially the embOS
layer for file I/O illustrates some bigger differences of embedded operated
systems. Since embOS is unfree, I expect the RTEMS port will be more
interesting to most people in this list. (I have to admit that the
differences are not as big there).

Some of the native interfaces we are using here are even more complicated than
the embOS one, because they are for special operating systems which are only
used internally in a customer's company, but not publicly available as a
product. Those systems would probably be of little interest here (because
they are not available at all) and we would not even be allowed to publish
the implementations for them. We might be able to provide more platforms in
the future.

It's okay by us to modify or change things in the native layer. Removing it
completely means kicking aicas out of the project. After one and a half years
of working on the project, this would be really sad for us. I would be glad
if we can come to a solution which is okay for everybody.

I wish you a nice weekend,

cheers,

        Andy.

--
aicas GmbH
Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18 * 76131 Karlsruhe