Re: Could you share and shed some more wisdom?

From: Gary Oberbrunner
Subject: Re: Could you share and shed some more wisdom?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:24:50 -0500 (EST)

  >> I thought, from old postings, that AfterBuild supeceeded AddTarget,
  >> but apparently they complement each other. What does AddTarget do?

  SK> It adds a target to the list of command line targets that Cons
  SK> will build, providing a way to force something to be built in
  SK> certain circumstances.  I can think of two uses for it:

  SK> --        Using AddTarget in the middle of a Construct/Conscript
  SK> file would force the target(s) to always be built, regardless
  SK> of what was specified on the command line.

  SK> --        Using AddTarget in code executed by AfterBuild provides a
  SK> way to specify that, based on some intermediate state of the
  SK> build, one or more additional targets must now be built.

  SK> Gary, does that match your intended uses for AddTarget?

Exactly.  I originally needed it for your second case, but yes, it
works for the first as well.  Don't know if it's a very good idea to
use it that way though, because the user then can't *not* build that
target.  Depends on your usage model I guess.

--
Gary Oberbrunner                address@hidden