Re: javac issues

From: Vaclav Barta
Subject: Re: javac issues
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:38:35 +0000

Michael Cook wrote:
> Vaclav Barta <address@hidden> writes:
> > I'd say if nobody on this list
> > knows about a JVM
> to be precise, it's not the jvm, but the javac application
> (javac runs inside a jvm).
I didn't *know* it was javac, until today - the FAQ says "Java",
so I've been trying the "java" binary (it *does* pay to be
precise... :-) ).

> > with "-depend" option, drop that sentence talking about it
> > from the FAQ.
> jikes is a java compiler.  it has these dependency-related
I take my suggestion (to simply drop the sentence) back - I also
found one (Google rules!). From
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/tooldocs/solaris/javac.html :
     -depend
         Causes recompilation of class files on which the source
files given as command line arguments recursively depend.
         Without this option, only files that are directly
depended on and missing or out-of-date will be recompiled. Recompilation
does not extend to missing or out-of-date files
only depended on by already up-to-date class files.

But that's 1.1 - Sun's Java2 compiler doesn't have -depends option
and apparently (I've tried an example but just a simple one)
insists on the confusing behavior described above.

        Bye
                Vasek