Re: Hmmm.... future of cons?

From: Doug Alcorn
Subject: Re: Hmmm.... future of cons?
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:16:50 -0400

Gary Oberbrunner <address@hidden> writes:

> I also can't be a real project leader right now, but I can help get
> the 2.3.1 release out.  Sounds like Doug Alcorn is willing to manage
> the release.

Yes, I'll do it if that's the group consensus.  I'm not exactly sure
how a release manager gets appointed on this project.  If there's
someone more qualified and willing I'll gladly step aside.

> Sounds like what we need are:
>
> - all recent patches
> - any doc improvements
> - any fixes people have been hoarding

I was under the impression that the current CVS head was a releasable
candidate.  If we want to take additional patches that's OK.  At this
point, I would be inclined to say "no new features" other than what's
in CVS.  This is simply to expedite getting 2.3.1 out the door.
Again, that's differentiating between "all recent patches" and "fixes
people have been hoarding".  Fixes are good (in my book for 2.3.1),
new feature patches aren't.

> - Cons::Plus?  Someone will need to figure the best way to integrate
> this.  Should we just shovel it into the release package as is, or do
> something tighter?

For 2.3.1, I'm not sure I would include it.  I think if Cons::Plus is
really desired in the core Cons package, we should integrate it in and
release that as 2.4.0.  That seems like enough of a feature
improvement to warrant at least a point release increment (certainly
more than just a maintenance release increment).

--
 (__) Doug Alcorn - Unix/Linux/Web Developing
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543