Re: command dependencies broken

From: Johan Holmberg
Subject: Re: command dependencies broken
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:17:26 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Timothee Besset wrote:

> Please please please tell me that someone is going to look into this. SK?
>
> TTimo

And until it is fixed it would be a good idea to withdraw 2.3.0
from the Web-site. *Something* has to be done. Just saying
(like Rajesh did May 23):

> 1. Cons is a live project.. I have no plans whatsoever of
>    letting it die.

will not make anyone happy. The (lack of) actions speak for
themselves.

I think I know the Cons source quite well (at least a while ago).
But when I tried to read the current code that decides if a rebuild
is necessary, I couldn't make any sense of it. Nested conditionals
statements and generally quite incomprehensible code ....
I spent several hours trying to understand just a couple of lines of
code.

If Cons should stay alive the code must be possible to understand.

If noone understands the current code (not even Steven who
wrote it ???) I would suggest reverting to a version before the
changes where introduced.

Keeping 2.3.0 on the Web-site makes Cons look like a broken program
and a dead project.

/Johan Holmberg