Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:15:49 -0300

On 07/26/2013 05:10 AM, Mikael "MMN-o" Nordfeldth wrote:
> First of all, I have to say I very much enjoyed this
> resume-kind-of-post. Kudos for doing it!

*** Thank you Mikael!  That's an encouraging feedforth!  I wholly
agree with all you wrote.

> Personally I can't see why people didn't just start federating away
> from identi.ca long ago. Using a federated software without
> actually using federation only results in centralisation.

*** The same thing happened with N-1.cc, where the population grew and
the support not, making it unsustainable if it wouldn't be for crazy
people who still prefer cooperating.  When the migration from 1.7 to
1.8 happened, the disruption was terrible.  We're still in turmoil,
although the "population" kept growing, but support didn't start
matching the basic costs.

I don't have an answer on the "why such things happen", but I can
relate it to the past couple of decades of propaganda selling
everything "for free" (gratis), at the expense of plundering the
resources of the Earth, slave labor, and social dumping. (more
specifically driving the smaller competition out of the game by the
use of massive economies of scale, slave labor, and systematic buy
outs, hereby reinforcing the phagocyte behavior).

The Internet suffered this trend as much as the rest of society,
leading consumers to believe it comes "for free" as infrastructure.  I
wish it were infrastructure as part of public funding, with net
neutrality built in.  But the colonization of the minds around the
idea that profit leads to growth and growth leads to happiness is
terribly ignorant of the complexity of the ecosystem's cycles.

As Buckminster Fuller used to say: "Humanity acquires all the right
technology for all the wrong reasons."

==
hk