Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism

From: Guido Witmond
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:15:53 +0200

On 26-07-13 16:15, hellekin wrote:
> On 07/26/2013 05:10 AM, Mikael "MMN-o" Nordfeldth wrote:
>> First of all, I have to say I very much enjoyed this
>> resume-kind-of-post. Kudos for doing it!
>
> *** Thank you Mikael!  That's an encouraging feedforth!  I wholly
> agree with all you wrote.
>

>> Personally I can't see why people didn't just start federating away
>> from identi.ca long ago. Using a federated software without
>> actually using federation only results in centralisation.
>
> *** The same thing happened with N-1.cc, where the population grew and
> the support not, making it unsustainable if it wouldn't be for crazy
> people who still prefer cooperating.  When the migration from 1.7 to
> 1.8 happened, the disruption was terrible.  We're still in turmoil,
> although the "population" kept growing, but support didn't start
> matching the basic costs.
>
> I don't have an answer on the "why such things happen", but I can
> relate it to the past couple of decades of propaganda selling
> everything "for free" (gratis), at the expense of plundering the
> resources of the Earth, slave labor, and social dumping. (more
> specifically driving the smaller competition out of the game by the
> use of massive economies of scale, slave labor, and systematic buy
> outs, hereby reinforcing the phagocyte behavior).

You should read Binding Chaos by Heather Marsh.... Plenty of answers
there. http://georgiebc.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/binding-chaos/

> The Internet suffered this trend as much as the rest of society,
> leading consumers to believe it comes "for free" as infrastructure.  I
> wish it were infrastructure as part of public funding, with net
> neutrality built in.  But the colonization of the minds around the
> idea that profit leads to growth and growth leads to happiness is
> terribly ignorant of the complexity of the ecosystem's cycles.

I wrote about it on the libtech list in:
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2013-July/010335.html

It was about the high price of centralised server systems compared to
geographical caching.

Regards, Guido.