Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:37:13 -0300

On 07/26/2013 12:15 PM, Guido Witmond wrote:

> You should read Binding Chaos by Heather Marsh.... Plenty of
> answers there.
> http://georgiebc.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/binding-chaos/

*** I promised to translate it. I need to take the time.

> I wrote about it on the libtech list in:
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2013-July/010335.html

***

Brilliant! Allow me to <quote>

The problem with the web is that is favours a central distribution model
and forgoes geographical caching. For example, if I read an interesting
blog and send to URL to a friend in the same room, the data that forms
the blog has to travel all the way from the original site - over all the
same paths - a second time for my friend. Just so he can have an
identical copy.

He gets an identical copy of the important bits that mattered: the blog.
He might get different bits that don't matter, the advertisements.

If we had an easy way for me to transmit the blog to my friend, the
important bits would have an almost zero cost of transport while the
unimportant bits need the expensive path

</quote>

It reminded me the model for bandwidth allocation on large trunks: if
you're an ISP, your incentive is to maximize your available bandwidth,
in order to get allocated more bandwidth faster. Again, a model that
favors a few giant operators rather than many tiny ones.

So there, you have it: cutting the middleman by enforcing peer-to-peer
distribution. Notice how the concept of cloud, and "web apps" do
exactly the opposite. Unless the app in UnHosted.

==
hk